Have you been looking for a quality socket set to help with projects around the house? Do you need a little extra advice to help make sure you get the best one you can for the money?
We spent many hours looking at the various socket sets currently available and considered several factors before choosing the best set available.
Among other factors, we evaluated the number of sockets in each set, the inclusion of both SAE and metric sizes, and any bonus packaged accessories like ratchets.
Table of contents
Who should get this rechargeable flashlight?
A socket set is useful for anyone who needs tools to work on small household projects like repairing the lawnmower or fixing bicycles.
Having access to both SAE and metric sockets lets you work on just about anything you’re likely to find around the house.
Furthermore, access to a complete set of sockets in a single case makes it much easier to find the right socket for the job without having to rummage through a toolbox or junk drawer.
Why should you get this?
- Contains Both SAE and Metric Sockets
This set contains 34 sockets; 15 SAE (1/4-inch drive), 13 metric (1/4-inch drive), 3 SAE (3/8-inch drive), and 3 metric (3/8-inch drive).
- Similar to “Flank Drive”
The sockets in this set are designed very similar to the Snap-On® Flank Drive™ sockets. The flats are slightly curved to ensure that you are applying pressure on the flats of nuts and bolts rather than the corners, reducing the risk of stripping them.
- Fine Tooth Ratchet
The ratchet has a fine-tooth drive that lets you work in smaller increments, making it easier to work in tight spaces.
- Strong Steel Used for Sockets
The sockets are made from hardened, treated chrome vanadium steel alloy. While the walls might seem thin, this material makes them strong enough to take on most tasks with ease.
- Highly Polished Chrome Finish
The sockets have a bright shiny chrome finish. This finish is less about aesthetic value and more about crafting sockets that are not going to rust and fall apart.
- Everything in One Compact Case
Putting everything into a single compact case makes it easy keep everything together. You can keep a set in your garage and one in the trunk of your car for emergencies.
- Extra Accessories Add Value
Along with the sockets and ratchet, this set includes a 3-inch extension, a screwdriver handle, and a 1/4″ to 3/8″ adaptor so you can use all of the sockets with the reversing ratchet.
- Ergonomic Design
One of the biggest problems with many low-cost ratchets is that the handle of the ratchet is not ergonomically designed. While this may not make much of a difference if you only use it once in a while for a few minutes, if you have a lot of work to do — or if the bolts you are working with are very tight — using a poorly-designed ratchet can be quite painful.
Did you know?
The first ratcheting socket wrench, complete with interchangeable sockets, was invented in 1863 by an American by the name of J.J. Richardson of Woodstock, Vermont. This tool was patented by the Scientific American Patent Society on June 16, 1863
- Case Does Not Hold Sockets Securely
Although the tools inside the case are of good quality, the case itself leaves something to be desired. It does not keep the sockets securely in place. Unless you leave the case sitting upright, the sockets will end up in one big mess.
- Not Made for Heavy Duty Jobs
While the sockets are of high quality, they are made for light-duty tasks and should not be used for heavy-duty jobs, as they may break.
- Engraved Sizes Hard to Read
Each of the sockets has its size engraved into the side. However, the engraving itself is very shallow, making it difficult to read.
- 1/4″ to 3/8″ Adaptor Weak
The 1/4″-inch to 3/8-inch adaptor is weak. If you apply too much pressure, it snaps off, leaving you with only 6 sockets that can be used with the enclosed ratchet.
- Not for Commercial Use
While this socket set is ideal for home use, you should not use it for commercial purposes.
Sale Stanley STMT71652 123-Piece Socket Set
- Chrome Vanadium forged body for torque, strength and durability
- Stanley - Black & Decker
- Quick release switch and reversible mechanism for easy operation
- Full polished chrome finish for anti-corrosion protection
Sale Neiko 10288A Master Hex Bit Socket Set, S2 Steel | 32-Piece Set | SAE and Metric
- DURABILITY: bits made of premium S2 alloy steel for superior hardness that reduce wear-outs and insure longevity
- TORQUE STRENGTH: high strength chrome vanadium steel sockets provide superior torque for greater turning power with mirror chrome finish for corrosion resistance
- PRECISION BITS: precisely and automatically machined bit tips to ensure accurate size, chamfered bit ends insert smoothly into fasteners and protect both bits and fasteners from damaged edges
- 16-Piece SAE hex bit sockets include: 1/4" Drive: 5/64", 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 7/32", 1/4"; 3/8" Drive: 9/32", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2"; 1/2" Drive: 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4"
- 16-Piece Metric hex bit sockets include: 1/4" Drive: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm; 3/8" Drive: 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm; 1/2" Drive: 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm
The EPAuto 1/4” & 3/8” Drive Socket Set with Reversible ratchet is a complete set of SAE and Metric sockets that are strong enough to take on all but the toughest tasks without breaking. They are perfect for home use on cars, bikes, furniture assembly, and more.
The range of sockets covers virtually any task the average homeowner is likely to run across. The ergonomic handle fits your hand nicely and helps to relieve stress and strain. The beautiful chrome finish is mirror polished and will help keep the sockets from rusting.
The best part? You get all of this for a very low price. One could expect to pay much more for a name-brand socket set that includes this many sockets and accessories. We recommend buying one of these sets for every vehicle you own — and an extra one for the garage.